Monday, February 7, 2011

Seeded Stripe Dishcloth


I designed this dishcloth pattern some years ago - one of my first improvisations - and had completely forgotten about it until a friend informed me that it was her staple pattern for everyday dishcloths.  Aww!  Well, I dusted off the pattern, tweaked it, and here it is - the Seeded Stripe dishcloth!  As written, the pattern will make an approx. 7.5" square dishcloth, but you can easily adapt the size.


YOU WILL NEED:
  • worsted weight cotton yarn (model made with approx. 1oz of Sugar 'n Cream Twists color Summer Twists)
  • size US 6 (4.25mm) straight knitting needles (or size needed to obtain desired fabric)
  • tape measure, yarn needle, scissors
DIRECTIONS:
CO 33 sts, or number of sts needed to obtain desired width.  Work in garter stitch (knit every row) for 1".  Work in seed stitch ([k1, p1] across every row without ribbing) for 1".  Work in garter stitch for 3.5", or until dishcloth measures the width minus 2".  Work in seed stitch for 1".  Work in garter stitch for 1".  BO and weave in ends.

This pattern is on Ravelry!

17 comments:

Eileen said...

I love this! Going to add it to my queue.

Eileen
WiscKnitter on Ravelry

RoadToGrinnell said...

Thanks for the comment! (Love your avatar!) Can't wait to see how it turns out for you!

Card Crafter said...

Visually pleasing! Found this on Pinterest and loved it right away. In the queue for a flight to see my fiance. He is in dire need of dishcloths!

RoadToGrinnell said...

Thank you! It's great to know my patterns are circulating on Pinterest! Have fun knitting!

TheMagician said...

Awesome pattern. Have been making them in different colors for gift baskets for friends. Love textured cloths like this as opposed to ones with "pictures" on them. Thank you for sharing your gem!

RoadToGrinnell said...

I am so happy to hear that you've made good use of the pattern! Thanks for commenting. :D

JanS said...

I adore this pattern. I am a very new beginner! Just as soon as I get these stitches down, I am going to try this one for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I am new to knitting, and I was wondering what does it mean when you say without ribbing( after the 1k, 1p)? Thanks for your help.

RoadToGrinnell said...

"Without ribbing" means you want to alternate the stitches so you get a "checkerboard" pattern. If you have an even number of stitches and you (k1, p1) across every row, you'll end up with ribbing (stripes) instead of a "checkerboard." Most people use an odd number of stitches for that reason. Here's some directions from another site: https://www.lionbrand.com/faq/269.html?www=1&lbc=&language= Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this pattern. I've always used the Grandmother's Favorite pattern so I'm looking forward to making something a bit different.

Unknown said...

I used this pattern years ago to make personal washclothes for family sharing the bath room: I am making more because they have worn out!

RoadToGrinnell said...

Aron, thanks so much for the kind feedback! That really made me smile! :D

Anonymous said...

I aade a few of these for a 50-year-mini-reunion of high school friends and took them along with the patchwork quilted hot pads I had made for each. The dishcloths were the big attraction!

ridieghez said...

Just shared this pattern with my daughter who was looking for a good one, and so happy to find it! I"m going to make a few for myself :)

Many thanks!

Lima said...

Thanks for the seeded stripe dishcloth pattern, loved the Westie puppy picture too.

Lima said...

Thanks for the seeded stripe dishcloth pattern, loved the Westie picture too.

Anonymous said...

I’ve been looking for an extremely easy dishcloth pattern for my first dishcloth and this definitely looks to be the one! Excited to try. Found it on Pinterest. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! If you have any questions or comments about my patterns, do speak up.